Portland Coastal Half Marathon 2021
07 February 2021
For 2021 and beyond, the route will have no specific markers relevant to the Portland Coastal Marathon. This is to ensure that we have the minimum possible impact on what is a beautiful and natural environment along the way.
You are expected to navigate the route yourself.
WHAT YOU GET
- Portland Coastal Marathon bespoke finishers medal
- Trophies for first three male and female runners in each distance
- Energy refreshments at the checkpoints and finish line
- Experienced medical cover
- Friendly, personal assistants, advice and support
- Printed route map for navigation
- Chip Timing
- Free Professional Race Photos
- Portland Coastal Marathon Buff'thingy
- Also on offer:
- Technical Running T-shirt £10
To try and cut back on the waste produced by events we will not be supplying plastic water bottles or giving away tee shirts as bribes to enter – just simple good old honest races with amazing courses and locations, brilliant marshals to support you and an awesome medal and a buff'thingy at the finish.
We will also be stripping away the price tag too, only want to race? no worries – you get a cheaper entry, if you want a quality tee shirt as a souvenir and why wouldn't you, ours are top notch then No worries, you can add one during the registration process.
If you still want to take part in the race below - Please Read On :)
The Race -
The Portland Coastal Half Marathon will be taking place from the iconic Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy on Sunday 7th February 2021
Along with the half distance event there will be a Full marathon and a 10k so all abilities can take part in this festival of running in a what is possibly the most stunning of coastal trail locations.
The route follows the Portland section of the South West Coastal Path. The path is marked on fingerpost signs by an Acorn symbol and is a well trodden track for the majority of the way.
Basic principle for the half is ‘keep the sea on your left and the land on your right’ and you will not go far wrong.
Please follow the route marked on your map. Deviating from the marked route on the map or taking shortcuts is not in the spirit of the event and could lead to potential disqualification.
You will have check in points at the feed stations, dotted around the island as usual, to make sure you have completed the entire course. This remains the same as previous years.
To download the course maps and GPX files for the Half Marathon please visit this page.
Right then, before we start, lets not sugar coat this race as a dreamy affair that everyone can do, it’s not. Simple as that, its hard,
The half is hard, The Full is harder! have a read of Grant Vernon’s (Thanks Grant for the honesty) Full Distance race report here for some truth on what to expect.
A brief overview for you – Kangaroos (RD EDIT - They’re not, they’re Wallabies! :) ) prison, lighthouse, boulders, quarries, mud, cliffs, gnarly descents and slogging ascents….Bustinskin’s Portland Coastal Marathon has everything except PBs! This is a marathon of 27+ish miles, 2400+ish feet ascent on an out and back route. The Half is Just over 13.5+ miles.
Brief review of the marathon (scored between 1 and 5 with 5 being the most awesome)
Organisation: 5 (lots of marshals)
Location:5 (nice race HQ, free parking, showers, awesome views)
Terrain:4 (drop a point because out and back route)
Value for money:5 (early bird)
Bling and stuff:5 (t-shirt to be purchased separately from entry if you want one, buff-thing, medal, well stocked drinks stations)
This is a brilliant, well organised event. Plenty of well stocked aid stations along the route. Lots of friendly marshals including some that are running amongst you in yellow tabards, a very neat touch. A finishers medal, a buff-type thing make this a great value for money event. This should be on your to-do list of races.
**Word of warning for those who skimp on reading race instructions, this race has a mandatory kit list. Spot checks occur (including checking ALL the top 10 finishers). Skip carrying the kit, DQ is your prize.
This is a No Kit NO Race event, please read all of the information before entering, you will have random spot checks of your mandatory kit, if you are found not to have it you will be DQ'd - this is for your own and others safety and it really isn't very much to carry.
It's called "Mandatory," because you must carry it with you. Yes, you can drink your fluids and eat your food. No, you may not ditch your kit with a friend or under a hedge. All participants must carry the following mandatory kit during this race. Trail racing is hazardous, but not as hazardous as abandoning the race without a way to stay warm until help can arrive.
Kit checks will/may precede race start.
Random kit checks will/may happen during the race and finish. ALL TOP TEN FINISHERS MALE/FEMALE WILL BE CHECKED.
Participants found to be without the required kit will not be allowed to start and will not be entitled to a refund.
Finishers found to be without the required kit will be disqualified and will not be entitled to a refund.
It's a simple rule we follow, NO KIT = NO NUMBER, NO RESULT, NO REFUND.
- MANDATORY KIT LIST
- Drink container(s) of 500ml capacity or greater.
- Windproof jacket - waterproof is advisable
- Emergency nutrition (a gel, energy bar, some sweets, etc.)
- Head covering (hat, multi-use covering, hood)
- Mobile phone, waterproofed in a bag, charged, on, and with volume up
- Foil blanket or full-sized bin liner
- SMALL First aid kit, including tape (micropore, zinc oxide, flexible, or similar) plasters blister plasters small wound dressing (absorbent pad with a gauze bandage)
We randomly checked 40+ finishers in 2017 not including the top 10 – all but 1 had the correct kit – that 1 got DQ’d - 2018 1 DQ - 2019 no DQ’s - 2020 no DQ's
For 2021 transfer of entries will be permitted up to and including 17 January 2021 after that, too late.
How to transfer or edit your race entry
- Log into your www.fullonsport.com account using your email address and password
- Once you are logged in, click on your username and select ‘my entries’
- Now you can click edit against the event entry you would like to transfer or edit
- If a race organiser is allowing entry swaps, you can now edit all of the data fields with the new participants details taking your, however his entry will still stay under your Full On Sport account
- If a race organiser is not allowing swaps, you can only edit certain fields such as address and club
- Once you have made the changes click save and the entry is now transferred or edited
The Event Will Be Held Under The UK Athletics Rules
|Half Marathon Normal Entry Fee - Requires UKA URN||08-Mar-2020||23-Jan-2021||£32.00|
|Normal Entry Fee - Unattached Runner||03-Oct-2019||23-Jan-2021||£34.00|
Registration open from: 07:30:00